Now that the 2012 hurricane season is underway, bringing the most named storms so early in the Atlantic season, homeowners need to start developing plans – if they haven’t done so already – for the possibility of a major hurricane.
Hurricanes can spawn twisters that tear through homes, and hurricane force winds can cause serious damage to homes. Because of this, every homeowner should prepare ahead of time by doing the following:
- Have an emergency plan in place.
- Know when to leave your home and seek shelter.
- Keep cell phones charged and don’t leave home without one.
- Have an emergency kit already packed and ready to go that includes an extra cell phone battery, list of emergency numbers, flashlights, weather radio, portable AM/FM radio and first aid kit.
- Have enough non-perishable food to last for several days in case power is knocked out in a hurricane.
- Practice your plan of action with the members of your household every year prior to June, the start of hurricane season.
- Make sure your home has wind coverage and flood coverage so that you have enough insurance coverage when you need to make a property damage claim.
If you need help filing your hurricane damage claim, you can get help from a skilled Texas homeowners insurance claim lawyer. Attorneys who deal with insurance companies know their tricks and know that they will typically try to low-ball their clients. And insurance litigation lawyers have the know-how to get you the maximum amount on your insurance claim.
Call the Voss Law Firm today at 888-614-7730. We will provide you with a free consultation and the help you will need when dealing with your insurance company. We will also provide a complimentary copy of our book Disputes With Your Insurance Company – What All Consumers Need to Know upon request.