10 Safety Tips to Prevent a Winter Fire and Avoid a Texas Fire Insurance Claim
During the winter season, people often stay inside trying to keep warm. Most homeowners in Texas do this by turning up the heat, lighting candles and preparing a warm, homemade meal. Although this sounds like a great time, homeowners need to be aware that there are more residential fires in Texas and throughout this nation during the winter months due to these activities.
According to the U.S. Fire Administration, fires in the winter season result in approximately 3,825 injuries, 945 deaths and about $1.7 billion in property loss each and every year. Sadly, cooking is the greatest cause of these statistics, as one-third of home fires occur between December and February due to fires that start in the kitchen.
Here are some things you can do in order to avoid a residential fire claim in Texas this winter.
10 Residential Fire Safety Tips Your Family Should Follow this Winter:
If you have had a fire this winter, even though you were careful and did your part to prevent one, it could have started due to faulty wiring or a defective piece of equipment. If you believe you have a Texas residential insurance claim, you should talk with a Texas insurance claim attorney prior to working with the insurance company in order to make sure your interests are being protected. You can reach the Voss Law Firm at 888-614-7730 and receive a free legal consultation today.
- Do not use an oven to heat your home.
- Do not leave a hot stove unattended.
- After cooking, confirm that the stove and oven are turned off.
- Keep candles out of the reach of children.
- Extinguish candles immediately after a meal so they aren’t forgotten about.
- Keep a fire extinguisher in the home near the kitchen.
- Install fire alarms in every room and confirm that they are working.
- Install carbon monoxide alarms in every level of the house and outside of sleeping areas.
- Talk to your family about the dangers of fires.
- Get an escape plan together.
Make sure you also request our free book, Disputes With Your Insurance Company, What All Consumers Need to Know, by accessing our website today.
The Voss Law Firm, P.C. represents clients on a local, national and international basis. We proudly serve companies and individuals along the Gulf Coast and around the globe on a contingency fee basis. Our law firm collects nothing unless we recover on our client's behalf.