House fires, apartment fires, and even warehouse fires have already occurred in Texas this year. When apartment or home fires occur, people are displaced and left without their belongings. This is exactly what happened to the residents of the Raintree Apartment complex in San Angelo on January 12, 2013.
It appears that a fire broke out around 9:00pm on Saturday night, damaging three apartments and destroying another. Apartment manager Amber Zarausakas said, “One apartment has major smoke damage and two have water damage. One lost their entire living room.” The fourth apartment was declared a total loss by the firefighters.
The apartment complex in the 2200 block of Valley View Boulevard contains 168 units and was home to hundreds. The San Angelo Fire Department had put out the fire in less than an hour, sparing the complex from what could have been an even greater disaster. Thanks to the work of the firefighters, the majority of apartments didn’t suffer any fire damage.
The couple who lost everything in their apartment was not home when the fire erupted. Although saddened, they are thankful they had renter’s insurance, which will help them get what they need for a fresh start. The manager stated that some of the other tenants who lost personal items or suffered damages in this apartment fire did not have renter’s insurance.
Structural fires occur more often in the winter months. Review the following list of heating safety tips to stay warm and safe this winter:
- Never use the oven to heat an apartment or home.
- Turn off portable heaters when going to bed or leaving a room.
- Keep all space heaters away from furniture, walls, and curtains.
- Have wall heaters and the furnace inspected by a professional once a year.
- Replace the batteries in all fire alarms and smoke detectors annually.
- Test all smoke detectors once a month to ensure they work.
- Make sure you have renter’s insurance or fire insurance.
Our Texas property damage attorneys are here to help those who have suffered losses in apartment fires obtain fair claim settlements from their insurance companies. Call the Voss Law Firm 888-614-7730 to receive a free consultation today.