Take it easy. Do not be too hard on yourself. The devastation, loss of life, and emotional pain following the Joplin tornado are surely weighing on you. There’s no doubt that having to deal with the Joplin tornado insurance claims process will only compound the disturbance in your life.
We have compiled a short list to help you through this difficult time:
- Call your insurance company. Consider asking questions like: Do I have coverage for these types of damages? What documents are required to validate my losses? Will I need to obtain damage estimates myself?
- Photograph everything. Obtaining photographs of the items damaged, as well as any evidence suggesting what caused the damage, is crucial to proving the insurance company is responsible for paying for them. Also, do not throw away or destroy anything of value, even if it was damaged!
- Request reimbursement for temporary repairs. Temporary repairs include any repairs that prevent further damage. Do not begin the permanent repairs process until the adjustor has visited your property and made a proper assessment.
- Save all receipts and make lists of anything and everything damaged. In order to receive full compensation, you must be meticulous in your cataloguing of all expenses.
- Seek reimbursement for additional living expenses. Many policies cover the cost of additional living expenses incurred while dealing with property damage. As always, save all receipts and record every single expense.
This list is by no means comprehensive, and an attorney may be helpful in obtaining the best possible result for your claim. Reach out to the Texas insurance litigation attorneys at The Voss Law Firm at 1-888-614-7730 to schedule a free consultation. When you call, order our free book, Disputes With Your Insurance Company – What All Consumers Need to Know.