Toll-Free: 1-888-614-7730
Phone: (281) 842-8679
Toll Free: 1-888-614-7730

Filing an Insurance Claim After a Frozen or Burst Pipe and the 3 Things Insurance Companies Use To Deny Coverage

Though the winter storms in Texas continue to warm and the majority of the state could reach as high as the low 70s, the destruction remains. Though the number of deaths is still being tallied, it is those who are still with us who need help the most. There are no words left, only justice. Let us help you get what you are rightfully owed. 

Read on below for the 3 most common (and major) exceptions to insurance coverage for frozen or burst pipes.

Are Burst Water Pipes Covered by most insurance policies?

Generally, yes. If your pipes freeze during cold weather, causing them to burst, any water damage that results is likely covered by your homeowner's insurance policy.

There are three major exceptions to this rule, however:

  • Was your frozen pipe due to lack of maintenance?

You are expected to maintain your home in a reasonable manner. If you did not replace old or corroded pipes, or if you failed to properly insulate your pipes, your insurance claim for a frozen and burst pipe could be denied.

  • Was your frozen pipe due to negligence?

​​​​​​​ Could you have easily prevented your frozen or burst pipe from taking place? For example, did you turn off the heat in your home during cold weather? If so, your insurance company may be able to deny your claim for a valid reason.

  • Was your broken pipe due to normal wear and tear?

Insurance policies usually do not cover damage caused by normal aging, such as old pipes or corroded pipes. If your pipes froze because of an unusual cold snap, causing water damage, your claim will likely be approved. If a pipe burst simply because it was worn out, you may be out of luck.

The best way to know whether your frozen pipe damage is covered by your insurance policy is to read your contract carefully—and talk to your insurance company if needed.

frequently asked questions about frozen burst water pipe damage in texas

Question: I’ve experienced water damage due the recent cold weather. What do I do next?

Answer: If you’ve experienced a loss due to a pipe burst or water damage, document all related damages and property loss and file a claim with your insurance company as soon as possible. See our recent blog here
Question: My insurance company is only allowing for partial repairs. What do I do?

Answer: If you’ve contacted your insurance company regarding an insurance claim and have been denied or underpaid, you should immediately:

  • Document all conversations and interactions between you and your insurance provider/agent
  • Keep a file of all documents/photos of damages so you can preserve evidence of your loss
  • Contact an insurance claims attorney like The Voss Law Firm

Question: What are common reasons insurance companies deny, delay, or underpay insurance claims?


  • Wear and tear
  • Cosmetic damage
  • Claiming damage occurred during a previous year
  • Omitting certain repairs (the "below your deductible" game)
  • Delay in the handling of your claim

Question: What can I recover if I hire your law firm?


  • Actual Damages
  • Interest
  • Penalty Interest
  • Bad Faith Damages
  • Your Attorney’s Fees

Got More Questions? We Have More Answers Call Us or Contact Us Online and We Will Get Back to You as Soon as Possible

Want to learn more about your homeowner's insurance? Order our free e-book, below

denied residential insurance claims free book lawyers sue insurance companies



If No Recovery No Fee Guarenteed

The Voss Law Firm, P.C. represents clients on a local, national and international basis. We proudly serve companies and individuals along the Gulf Coast and around the globe on a contingency fee basis. Our law firm collects nothing unless we recover on our client's behalf.

Live Chat