When home damage occurs to the structure of the house or to the contents inside the house, all homeowners want fast, easy settlements of their insurance claims. For this reason, homeowners are often tempted to accept the insurance adjuster’s first offer; however, this offer may be too low and may not cover all of your damages.
In order to get a fair and fast settlement offer, you will need to do the following:
- Understand your insurance coverage and know your rights.
- Keep an accurate inventory of your personal belongings—a home inventory list— including receipts and pictures of your home’s contents.
- Take pictures of your home’s property damage.
- Make sure your claim is filed properly and that you were thorough in filling out the paperwork.
- Take all costs into account, such as cost of materials, labor, value of the items damaged or lost, alternate living, and any other expenses you incurred.
- Be present for the insurance adjuster and any and all inspections of your home’s damage.
- Work with the insurance adjuster, but don’t get pushed around. You can dispute an insurance settlement offer if the insurance company makes you a lowball offer or denies your claim.
Sometimes, insurance adjusters are not fair and will want you to accept too low of an offer. Don’t get forced into a settlement just because you are sick of the wait or the process. If you know that your claim is worth more, you need to hold out to get the compensation that you deserve. Call a knowledgeable Texas insurance litigation attorney for help today at the Voss Law Firm at 888-614-7730 for a free consultation.