If you own an apartment complex, a fire can be devastating to your reputation, your business, and your tenants. Preventing structural fires in your apartment building is absolutely vital to your livelihood. Understanding how apartment fires happen is perhaps the best way to prevent them.
What are the top causes of apartment structural fires?
- Kitchen fires and cooking fires. By far the most common cause of apartment fires can be traced back to the kitchen, where tenants may leave food on the stove or in the oven. This type of fire is troubling to landlords, since there is little you can do to prevent these fires from taking place.
- Appliances and electrical fires. The second leading cause of apartment fires is electrical fires, often caused by faulty wiring, aging appliances, or overheated appliances. Appliances frequently involved in these fires include space heaters and clothes dryers.
- Smoking and open flames. Any time there is an open flame in an apartment, there is a risk of the fire spreading. The most common open flame fires are started by cigarettes, but some fires are also caused by fireplaces, candles, and incense.
- Arson. Some fires are started on purpose, with the intent to harm others or destroy property. Whether an arsonist was targeting you, a tenant, or simply setting a fire anywhere, the results can be devastating.
- Accidental fires. Finally, some fires are started purely by accident, oftentimes by children. An accident with lighters, matches, or fireworks could damage an apartment or bring down the entire complex. The best prevention for these fires is educating your children about fire dangers and keeping these objects out of the hands of children.
Apartment structural fire insurance claim lawyers
If your apartment complex has been damaged by a structural fire, it is imperative that you understand the cause of the fire and file an insurance claim if your policy covers that cause. Even the damage caused by a relatively small fire can be extremely expensive to repair. Not getting the right amount of money to rebuild could leave you without an income.
At the Voss Law Firm, we are dedicated to helping commercial property owners. We want to help owners collect the right amount on their claims and fight back against insurance companies that are acting in bad faith. To speak with one of our commercial insurance claim attorneys during a free, confidential consultation, call 888-614-7730 today.