Toll-Free: 1-888-614-7730
Phone: (281) 842-8679
Toll Free: 1-888-614-7730

What to Do When an Insurance Company Will Not Pay a Theft Claim

After finding out that your home was robbed and that your personal and valuable items were stolen, you may be emotional and angry. Before making any moves, stop and collect your thoughts. First, call the local police department and have them check your home to make sure no one is still inside. At this time, you can also file a police report.

You then need to make a list of all the items you think were stolen and attach values to the stolen items. Contact your homeowner's insurance company and file a residential theft claim. Once you do that, your insurance company may ask you for certain documents. Make sure you do your part:
  • Provide them with paperwork they request. This includes receipts (if you have them) and credit card statements that show the item amounts. Your insurance agent may even ask you for bank account statements if you do not have receipts or a way to show how much you approximately paid for the stolen items.
  • Provide them with replacement cost estimates of items stolen. You know your items better than they do, and although they may not ask for it, you should send your insurance adjuster links to specific models and prices for the stolen items. 
  • Provide them with pictures and videos of items stolen. If you have photographs or videos of any of your valuable stolen items, it may help to send them to your insurance adjuster. 
Insurance companies have a tendency to not pay the full value of your claim. They are in business to make money, not to give away money. Although the robbery was not your fault and you deserve the full replacement value of your stolen items, the insurance company may wrongfully deny your insurance claim or not give you the amount you deserve. When this occurs, you need to do the following:
  • Ask to speak with the claims department supervisor if you are not happy with the outcome.
  • Do not accept their first offer.
  • After negotiating your case, if you are still not getting the resolution you deserve, then you should definitely hire an insurance claim attorney to fight on your behalf.
  • Contact the Voss Law Firm immediately.
If the insurance company is not paying you what is fair for your theft property claim, your insurer may be acting in bad faith, and you may need to file a bad faith lawsuit against your insurer. Sometimes in a lawsuit, the insurer will be forced to pay the full claim amount, as well as punitive damages for delaying, stalling or wrongfully denying your claim to begin with.

If your insurance company will not pay your theft claim, you need to speak with an experienced Texas insurance litigation lawyer today. Call Bill Voss, a skilled insurance claim attorney, at 888-614-7730 for a free legal consultation today.

You can also order a FREE book from attorney Bill Voss today: Disputes With Your Insurance Company - What All Consumers Need to Know, located on our website.
Bill Voss
Connect with me
Aggressive Texas policyholder attorney that fights hard for his clients and won't stop until he wins
If No Recovery No Fee Guarenteed

The Voss Law Firm, P.C. represents clients on a local, national and international basis. We proudly serve companies and individuals along the Gulf Coast and around the globe on a contingency fee basis. Our law firm collects nothing unless we recover on our client's behalf.

Live Chat