Like many folks in Texas, you own a boat. You love it, but sometimes you think you’ve bitten off more than you can chew because you feel like you’re the only one who suffers mishaps on the water.
You’re not. In fact, many people in our community have problems boating and have to make insurance claims because of it.
Six Common Marine Insurance Claims
Insurance companies receive claims for a variety of incidents. Unfortunately, many of those claims will be denied for bogus reasons. Do any of your claims make the list?
- Weather. High winds, damaging rain, and hurricanes can cause extensive damage to your boat. Insurance companies often look for loopholes in policies for these types of claims, which can leave boat owners responsible for unfair costs.
- Theft. Most boat theft occurs while the vessels are docked on ramps. If boats are actually found, there’s typically little left to salvage, which means that insurance payouts are usually high.
- Injury. Insurance injury payouts can reach six figures, which is one of the reasons why insurance companies commonly try to deny these types of claims.
- Striking submerged objects. Crashing into objects hidden under the water often results in major damage. Struts, stuffing boxes, and underwater gear are often demolished in these types of collisions, which can result in hefty payouts.
- Lightning. Although some claims are more common than lightning, this is the one that typically pays out the most. The boat’s electrical system is usually destroyed, and the hull suffers from extensive damage due to “exit wounds.”
- Fires and explosions. Like theft, fires and explosions often result in a total loss of the vessel. While fires are commonly caused by wiring problems and explosions because of issues with fuel, they can both cost the insurance company lots of money, which could mean a bogus denial.
You Can Fight the Insurance Company
The insurance company doesn’t have the final word when it comes to claims. You can fight back when you feel like you’re not treated fairly. The Voss Law Firm works hard to help clients receive the justice they deserve. Contact us today by calling 1-888-614-7730 to speak with a legal professional about your situation.