Toll-Free: 1-888-614-7730
Phone: (281) 842-8679
Toll Free: 1-888-614-7730

What documents will I need to file a marine insurance claim for damage to a vessel?

There are a number of documents and records that will be necessary for filing a marine insurance claim for damage to a vessel, and we strongly recommend that you consult with a professional legal team if you have any questions about what you will need in order to successfully file a claim. Every claim is different, and having experienced legal support at your disposal can speed up the claims process and ensure that costly mistakes are avoided.

In general, however, you should start getting prepared for your insurance claim by gathering:

  • A copy of your marine insurance policy
  • Copies of all paperwork related to the vessel and claim, including the Bill of Lading, the copy of protest, the certificate of survey, and the letter of subrogation
  • Photographs of damage to the vessel or equipment
  • Photographs of damaged or incomplete cargo
  • Copies of any other communication regarding the incident and losses
  • Photographs, evidence, and other documentation

Once you’ve gathered this information, share it with the attorney who is handling your claim for offshore losses. An experienced legal professional can help you organize your documentation, rectify any missing documentation, and navigate the process of filing your marine insurance claim.

For more information from our legal team, request your free copy of our book, Your Basic Guide to Marine Insurance Claims, which is designed to help you understand and navigate your marine insurance coverage and avoid common mistakes and delays.

If No Recovery No Fee Guarenteed

The Voss Law Firm, P.C. represents clients on a local, national and international basis. We proudly serve companies and individuals along the Gulf Coast and around the globe on a contingency fee basis. Our law firm collects nothing unless we recover on our client's behalf.

Live Chat