Toll-Free: 1-888-614-7730
Phone: (281) 842-8679
Toll Free: 1-888-614-7730

What Typical Homeowners Insurance Policies Cover—and What They Don’t

Learn the coverage and exclusions of your homeowners insurance to prepare for the futureYou rely on your homeowner insurance policy to help you cover losses related to your house, other structures on your property, and your personal belongings. However, a lot of people are taken by surprise after major floods, fires, and disasters when they find out that there are a lot of limits on what a typical homeowners policy will cover. Although the answers all truly depend on what is written in your specific policy, it can be helpful to understand what to generally expect from your coverage and where there might be gaps.

What Is Generally Covered by Homeowners Insurance

In most typical homeowners insurance policies, you will like find coverage for:

  • Fires and explosions
  • Hail
  • Hurricane
  • Wind
  • Theft and vandalism

However, don’t assume that your home is covered for these kinds of losses if you haven’t carefully read through your policy. The “standard” homeowners policy can vary quite a bit depending on where you live and the insurance company you choose. For example, homeowners policies for residents along the Gulf Coast often exclude or limit coverage for losses caused by hurricanes, wind, and hail. Homeowners who are concerned about exclusions and limits may be able to extend their coverage with endorsements for certain perils; ask your insurance agent if you’re not sure or don’t feel that your current coverage is the right fit.

What Generally Isn’t Covered by Homeowners Insurance

While many types of damage are covered by most homeowners insurance policies, there are a number of events and issues that aren’t generally covered, including:

  • Flood
  • Earthquakes and sinkholes
  • Insect damage
  • Lack of maintenance
  • Mold damage
  • Sewer backup and some other types of water damage

However, this doesn’t necessarily mean that a homeowner never has coverage for these events. For example, flood damage is typically covered by a separately purchased flood insurance policy, and mold damage may be covered in very specific circumstances related to another covered event.

Don’t let the reality of your home coverage come as a surprise. If you aren’t sure, take the time to ask questions. “Typical” coverage can vary quite a bit from policy to policy—and even consumer to consumer. To make sure you understand what to expect if your home is seriously damaged, you should regularly read through and review your existing home insurance policy.

Sometimes insurance companies don’t play by the rules, and policyholders aren’t always aware that aren’t being treated fairly. If you are having trouble with an insurance claim that has been denied, delayed, or underpaid, contact the Voss Law Firm directly at 1-888-614-7730 for answers.

Post A Comment
If No Recovery No Fee Guarenteed

The Voss Law Firm, P.C. represents clients on a local, national and international basis. We proudly serve companies and individuals along the Gulf Coast and around the globe on a contingency fee basis. Our law firm collects nothing unless we recover on our client's behalf.

Live Chat