Did you know that your life insurance claim may be denied if you do not fill out your initial application fully and honestly? It’s true: many insurance companies include clauses in their policies that invalidate claims that are connected to applications that are incomplete or misleading.
To ensure that your life insurance claim is not denied because of a problem with your application, make sure to take the following steps when deciding upon a policy:
- Disclose all preexisting conditions. If you don’t mention all of your medical conditions in your application, you may be paying your insurance premium for no reason. Even if a condition doesn’t seem important to you, or even if you are afraid a preexisting condition will make your premium higher, list it on your application!
- Don’t lie about your age. Some people regularly take a few years off of their age – whether on their Facebook profile or on their latest birthday cake. But absolutely don’t lie about your age when applying for a life insurance policy. It will invalidate your policy and leave your family empty handed.
- Be forthcoming about your behaviors. If you have a history of smoking, or if you have a history of addiction, you need to say so on your insurance application. It might make your policy more expensive, but it will ensure that you will have a valid claim in the future.
- Don’t misrepresent yourself. In general, don’t try to hide truths or gloss over information that pertains to your health or life expectancy. You will be giving the insurance company an excuse to deny your claim after your death.
- Don’t commit fraud of any sort. If you knowingly lie on your application, or even knowingly withhold information, your insurance company may be able to deny your claim even if the circumstances surrounding your death have nothing to do with the information you fabricated or withheld.
In general, the best way to ensure that your claim will be paid is to be honest and forthcoming during your life insurance application process.
Do you have questions about your life insurance application? Call our life insurance claim lawyers for guidance and help! Want more information and free tips on matters that are important to you? Follow The Voss Law Firm on Facebook.